Check with Shelby Fish Farm (Steve) about the size of feed he has been feeding his fish and then buy one of his bags of same size pellets. Tell him I suggested you contact him. He will insure you get great fish. I use the food brand he sells. I would ask him about his feeding schedule and come close to what he is doing. His fish will be used to his feeding schedule and you try to imitate it at least one of his daily feeding times. Fish are strong creatures of habit. He may feed 2X per day but one of those times will be enough for starters. As Snipe noted they may not eat until tafter about 5-10 days and they are accustomed to a new pond setting.

Often FHM and or GSH are the first to locate the pellets and these early eaters lead the other fish to the feeding location. Always feed at same time of day and same location. In new ponds I usually suggest using a floating feeding ring (thin wall 1" PVC square) to contain pellets so they don't float to shore and become waste and algae fertility.

Get at least two sizes of YP. If you get them prior to Apr 1-4 they could spawn within 10 days after you get them if some are 6"-8". For starters I would hand feed and only feed what they are willing to eat that day. Expect feeding aggressiveness to noticeably increase when water reaches 65F.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 02/16/20 05:00 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management