Originally Posted By: esshup
Mike, look into getting a small Fyke net or making/buying some traps that are specific to catching catfosh/bullheads. I bet if you can knock down the BH population some of your turbidity issues will disappear.

I built a couple of cloverleaf traps last year and modified the entrances to allow BH to get in. Baited with pellets in a plastic bottle with holes punched in it. Never caught the first catfish. I'm hoping since my LMB were able to spawn at least minimally, they'll put a little dent in the population. I've got one (#2 of yall recall) that is pushing 3# now so she is capable of eating a fairly large BH, which should be easier to swallow and hopefully preferred over the BG/GSF.

I was able to put a pretty good dent in them last summer with a dip net hitting the swarms when they got close to the bank, probably caught 1000 of the little buggers 1.5" long, but I know I didnt get them all.

Last edited by Mike Whatley; 01/19/20 04:23 PM.

.10 surface acre pond, 10.5 foot deep. SW LA. The epitome of a mutt pond. BG, LMB, GSF, RES, BH, Warmouth, Longear Sunfish, Gambusia,Mud Minnows, Crappie, and now shiners!!...I subscribe!!