Hope this is the best place for this question, since it does involve renovation a pond.

I am cutting down 15 or so cottonwoods up to 24" diameter. Some are on the face of the dam and others are all at the same elevation around the edges of the pond. If the pond ever gets full and holds water (I will need to use SoilFloc - there is also an entry on that thread) the stumps will be in about 4' of water. Total surface area will be about 1/10 acre. My idea is to have an excavator dig out the stumps and use dirt from the bottom/sides of the pond to fill in the holes before treating with SoilFloc.

I am using Tordon RTU on each waist high stump as soon as it is cut. However, I know that cottonwoods are prone to resprout. A nearby golf course dug a trench next to a green, cutting through roots from a cottonwood, and for the next several years they had LOTS of cottonwood sprouts trying to come up in the green.

I'm wondering if I'll need to wait through an entire growing season or 2 to try to kill out as many of the root sprouts as I can, before using SoilFloc to seal the filled in stump holes and the bottom of the pond.

Thoughts or comments?