Hey Guys, been doing as much research as possible to adding a small dock in my just under 1/2 acre pond (.4 ). I live in Northeast Ohio and found the great idea of placing posts in the winter while the pond is frozen over. Drill holes through the ice and pound in the posts. I'm pretty set on using galvanized steel post as I'm not sure 4x4s would pound in sufficiently. In that category I've been looking at the playstar hardware offered by Menard's and is available locally as well as Tommy Docks hardware that I can order. Pond depth is about 7.5' and the shore grade is fairly steep.

I kind of like Tommy Docks hardware as the "backing plate" for the bolts are integrated and it has the under joist support. The post is also centered in the corner. (***Correction - I just realized the bracket does not come all the way back up the back side as I though. It uses washers on the bolts)

Tommy Docks Corner Bracket

But the dual set bolt seems heavier duty on the Playstar bracket, however it needs a separate backing plate.

Playstar Bracket

Playstar Backing Plate

The pipe offered at Menards is 1 5/8" 16 gauge with a 1.63" actually diameter in 12' lengths that can be cut to size. $24.99 a piece. I was pretty set on this, but reading some of Tommy Docks material has me questioning. They offer both a standard duty pipe in nearly the same diameter, 1.66" and a Heavy Duty 1.9" pipe they recommend for heavy waves, boats, (non of which applies) but they also state to use the heavy duty for water depths over 7' in some areas of the site, and over 8' in other areas of the site. The problem is their post lengths only come in up to 8', but you can special order 10' and 12' lengths that require special shipping that I assume will be expensive.

So first question, do you think the 1.6" pipe is sufficient for my build? I have not locked in on a layout, but am thinking something along the lines of an 8' by 3' or 4' wide walkway out to a say 8' x 8' or 8' x 12' platform.

That brings up my second & third question.. Post spacing? 4', 6', 8' on center? I've seen pictures of all on the Tommy Docks gallery. And 6" or 8" joists? I will likely use 5/4 decking boards.

Opinions and advice appreciated! Trying to get everything figured out and purchased so I am prepared for when the ice thickens enough.

Last edited by Ibanez540r; 12/30/19 03:44 PM.