Time and time again people want to fish in the pond and can't consistently catch fish.

I'll grab a pole and show them what they are missing out on. Even give them some bait to use and they still can't catch the fish. They have larger hooks, use bobbers, etc. and they can't catch anything consistently.

Here's what I use:

Owner Mosquito Hook either #8 or #10 Owner Mosquito Hook

Trilene Vanish 4# test: Vanish

Stubby Steves: Stubby Steve's Original Brown Pellet

I use an ultralight spinning rod that has a line rating that has 4# test in the description. i.e. 2#-6# or 4#-8# or something like that.

I use an ultralight spinning reel (I like rear drag reels) that is also rated for 4# test line. I fill the spool to within 1/16" or so of the outside of the lip.

I'll set the drag by tying a weight that weighs 2# to the line and lift up on the rod/reel. I will adjust the drag so the line barely goes out when the weight is barely touching the ground. Then I DON"T TOUCH THE DRAG.

If using the #8 hook, I will thread one pellet up the hook past the knot so it's resting right on the knot with the line going thru the pellet, then I will put a 2nd pellet on the hook, leaving it right at the bend of the hook. If I am using a #10 hook, I will hook the 2nd pellet thru a "corner" of the pellet to leave more of the gullet of the hook open, or just use one pellet hooked thru the *corner*.

NO weight, NO bobber.

I will cast it out as far as I can (typically near where the fish food pellets will land on the water), and leave it there for roughly 30 seconds. I watch the line where it touches the water like a hawk. If it twitches or moves, set the hook - pellets don't swim by themselves. If nothing bites, reel it in and cast it out again. Rinse and repeat.

I've had HSB hit it as soon as it touches the water, and I've had them hit it right before I reel it in. The pellet doesn't *have to* float, some fish food pellets get waterlogged and slowly sink.

The key to not having the fish swallow the hook is to strike as soon as you see the line twitch. If there is no wind you can also hold the rod tip up higher and watch the "belly" of the line from rod tip to the water If it jumps or gets tighter OR looser, set the hook asap. Again, the pellets don't swim....

Hold the rod up so there is a good bend in the rod, don't horse the fish in, reel down, keeping a bend in the rod, pull up without reeling in, reel down. When the fish runs, just hold the rod as vertical as possible and let it run. USE A NET to land the fish, don't try to fool with lipping it or trying to drag it up on the shore, I like using the rubber nets - less slime coat disruption and the hook won't get caught in the net. Keep the fish in the net to get the hook out if you are going to release the fish, don't let it flop around on the ground. I like having a small set of curved hemostats to grab the hook and get it out of the fish. Bending down the barb will make getting the hook out VERY easy.

As long as the water temp is in the 70's or below the HSB will be fine. I've caught up to 10# HSB on 2# test line doing this, but I prefer to use 4# line when the fish are bigger than 4-5 pounds. More abrasion resistance with the 4# test line. If you are using 2# test, after you catch a fish feel the line from the hook up 10' or so. If you feel any rough spots, retie the hook. I'll retie the hook after catching a few fish if the hook was completely in their mouth, but many fish are just caught in the lip and if the line doesn't have any nicks in it I'll keep fishing without retying.

Last edited by esshup; 12/14/19 02:22 AM.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).