Originally Posted By: Quarter Acre
….I use a GFCI outlet for safety... Pond water and electric in close proximity, plus it's outside. I also use an outdoor rated timer to control the pump. That's it.

If I had to do it over, I'd add a second duplex outlet for convenience...droplight use, extension cord, or whatever. I would also like a timer that would allow me to turn the pump off without unplugging the pump or timer, stopping the timer so that I did not have to reset the timer clock when the pump needs to be turned off for messing around with the system. Rare, but it would be nice.

….

This is a good description of what I did. My timer provides the control you describe. I went one step further and put each of the duplex outlets on separate circuits with the breakers in the house. This allows me to plug the compressor in one circuit and have my security lights and other stuff on the other. During the winter, if we have thick ice or heavy snow cover, I can turn my compressor on and off from the house when I want to aerate without losing my lights. I do have to reset the clock on my timer every spring though.

Last edited by Bill D.; 11/24/19 09:29 PM. Reason: clarification

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!