Canyon - The solar panels alone can supply more than enough power to run the big pump all winter. For example, winter 2017 we were struggling with condensation filling the airline. The water in the lines increased resistance and drove up the power the pump was drawing to a low of 1,100 watts and a high of 1,500 watts. We were still able to run the big pump 6 hours per day off the solar system alone. With the redesigned valves, etc the pump alone is now only drawing ~900 watts. HUGE improvement!! The temperature at the pump outlet dropped from 180 degrees to 125 degrees. Another HUGE improvement! The reduced temps alone should lead to less condensation produced in the first place. The cool part is I will be able to identify any condensation issues by monitoring the power drawn by the pump. Any increase at all can only (I think) come from condensation issues starting to form.

The turbine was just going to supplement the power and was going to hopefully excel at times when the panels struggle like when a big storm blows in. The turbine was also going to provide additional run time for a second smaller pump (Thomas 2660 - 1/2HP) via an automated process.

Unfortunately the turbine is not working correctly. It has been a big struggle of it's own. We have verified that the turbine is built properly and producing power but we cannot get that power to the batteries for some unknown reason. In addition, I personally think the turbine contributed to the tripped breaker. So IMO safer to just disable the turbine and go with what I know works and has been battle tested. I will resume the turbine fight next summer.

Last edited by wbuffetjr; 11/14/19 10:58 AM.

Keep This Forum Viable, Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management