I don't believe we have too many does at my place. The population seems to remain around the same numbers each year. And we keep bucks around to. The bucks that stick around early on are usually younger bucks in the one to 3 yr range. With about 15 to 20 older (3yrs+) bucks that show up throughout the rutting season or Oct through February. We also have a large area if we consider our surrounding neighbors properties and the 9,000 acre NWR that receives little pressure that is across the rd from us.
All of us enjoy seeing the deer year round. The neighbors have reported that the deer look healthier since we started the year round food plots six yrs ago. The does are really healthy looking right now. As far as the food plots we have planted many different plants over the years but today we have narrowed it down to what seems to work best for us and what the deer prefer. Here is a list of what we now plant. Elbon Rye, winter wheat, clover both red and white, sun hemp, iron clay peas and forage soybeans. Our clovers will be there year round. They are in the clover wheat and rye right now and were in the sun hemp till this past week. We also have a lot of white oak acorns right now along with red oaks also. The acorns are being hit pretty hard right now. I have to say I looked hard for the right place to buy with the plan of making it a sporting property. And I am not done with the property.

Last edited by TGW1; 11/08/19 09:03 AM.

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy