Hey Guys,
Just read the entire thread. Great input! Loved seeing Sparkie chime in as well.

Here are my first thoughts...when we started the first forum, in 1998 (yes, 21 years ago), it took a few years to outgrow the software. With help from the founder of the Texas Fishing Forum, JP Greeson, we went with UBB and have stayed with them since 2002. Yes, we can upgrade, if we want to spend the money. When we started the forum, we basically had two goals. First was for information and idea exchange. Second was to drive business to the website so people would subscribe to the magazine to help fuel the business for profit.

That's not what happened. The forum became a family and I was amazed at the strength of the friendships that formed. To this day, I'm still amazed at the friendships and relationships and what this forum has done, not only for pond owners, but for all the people who have been involved in it, even those that show up for a short time. It's truly humbling.

Just today, a man who found this forum years ago, called me. He's fishing near where I live and wanted to come by for a few minutes. We talked about what Pond Boss has meant to him, how information from here has helped him help his neighbors, his ponds, and his life in general. He lives in Illinois and has attended a couple of the Pond Boss conferences as well. He made my day.

I didn't expect the forum to take on its own life, but it did. Today, with all the different types of social media choices, it does make sense that this forum slows down.

Frankly, the value this forum brings has nothing to do with Pond Boss's bottom line. I wish it did. Actually, it should. It's greatest value, to me, is the people who participate and share their knowledge and experience. The archives are a fringe benefit. The dollars it brings are not.

Yes, the forum does lose money. We spend about $400 each month on the host, and advertising revenue doesn't come close to supporting it. Few advertisers wish to support the forum, but quite a few are happy to have banner ads as part of their bundled advertising package with the magazine.

If the members want to ante' up and contribute to upgrading the UBB software, we'd welcome that. As a businessman, part of my mindset does believe in "pay to play", especially when there's so much value here. One of the hard sells/obstacles I've seen over the years is people not truly understanding what information they get here actually saves them by not making fundamental mistakes. I've gotten many emails and notes from people telling me that the magazine and forum have saved them time and money by figuring some things out before writing a check. At the same time, I've heard comments time to time from contributors stating that what they tell people has value, and therefore that's their contribution, rather than dollars. I appreciate that point of view as well.

Here's what I'll do next week...I'll get with our staff and have them investigate what it will take to upgrade the software. I'll report that back to the forum. This is your forum, too, and if you guys want to upgrade and will come up with enough money to do it, we'll do it.

That doesn't change the fact that I see huge value of this forum because of the people who participate. We've watched a number of people start their businesses here and have been proud to help them do it. We've watched people grow. Heck, I remember when Greg Grimes and his bride weren't able to have children, and Greg felt a sense of family here who helped him through it. Then, when their two babies were born, we were there for them...all of us. How important is that? It's reasons like that that I won't let this forum die.

Regarding people who have disappeared...I have banned a handful of people and all of those have been for good reason. My life has been threatened, people have threatened to harm my family and friends...over a dadgum forum! The people who have been banned were given chances over and over. They didn't play by the rules and they're gone, and I'm glad they are. I still look over my shoulder from time to time with one particular nut case. But, like Sunil said, that's 7 or fewer people. All others who left did so on their own accord.

Here's the bottom line on that topic. If people can play by our simple family rules, they are welcome. When opinions or topics become toxic, I'll step in and do something about it. If people are antagonistic, I'll call them out. Then, stop the behaviors and we continue. Or, choose to go away.

I do think part of the reason this forum has slowed is because of other social media. Yes, I do a Facebook Live broadcast most Wednesdays. I do it to share knowledge, entertain people, and answer questions. I also do it to drive business for Pond Boss subscriptions and to solicit business for our advertisers and yours truly. Since I make a living as a lake consultant, that venue is a good place to get in front of another crowd.

Didn't mean to write a book, but this thread really hit me in the "feels". Glad to read the passion. Heck, I want to drive to Kansas and see John Burns. I bet if he turns sideways, you can't see him.

Back in a few days, after we check out what it takes to upgrade.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...