Originally Posted By: FireIsHot
Originally Posted By: anthropic
Originally Posted By: travlinman
I was able to acquire a Cormorant Predation permit from the state but in their infinite stupidity they discontinued them last year. Those things are terrible!

I believe the feds took over cormorant predation permits, so states can no longer issue them. Probably hard to get.

Very.

IIRC, you have to be able to show a loss, which is hard to do if you don't sell fish.

I'm sure you're right under the law, but that law is a travesty.

Consider: Say you spend 100k to consult with pond experts, build a dam, shape the pond bottom, and create gravel beds for spawning. Then you spend 5k to stock fish, including additions annually like Tilapia. Then you spend 3k on fish feeders & replacements, plus 3k on fish food over a period of years. And 4k on liming & fertilization over the years. Plus electro surveys costing 3k over the years.

Add to that 5k for a dock so the kids can fish, and another 5k for a boat. Plus 2k buying artificial structure and getting it placed.

Total: $130,000. Now, if the cormorants take 20 percent of the fish, that is a loss of $26,000 of your entire fish investment. Shouldn't matter that you don't sell your fish, that's the loss.

If laws were fair, individual pond owners would not be treated as second class citizens. Our efforts do enormous good for the environment, including predatory birds!

Last edited by anthropic; 11/02/19 01:54 AM.

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160