I won't be running my air this winter. I did last winter, one diffuser at about 3 foot down with lower than normal air flow and only during the warmer daytime hours. I measured temps in the mid to low 30's from top to bottom out away from the diffuser area during the coldest of the winter. Running the air may of had some invisible benefits...it did keep a small hole in the ice open during the rare ice overs, but the downsides were...I witnessed no thermocline of warmer deeper waters, it seemed to keep the turbidity on the muddy side due to the crawdads stirring up the bottom and the diffuser keeping it kicked up, and it raised my electric bill I'm sure.

I will leave it off this year and measure the water temps to check the differences from last year and hope that the water settles to a clearer look.

I know I'm not giving you a definite answer, but these are the reasons I won't be running winter air. I think 24/7 winter aeration is not necessary, but depending on your winter time temps, it might not be a bad thing.

Fish on!,
Noel