I don't have a problem with mud, but my water level fluctuates significantly. Like Acousey I recommend the Water Primrose. They climb down the bank as the level lowers and seem to pop up when submerged. They float out from the bank a few feet and drop hanging roots. Fry concentrate here. I bet a bunch of invertebrates do too. Easy to propagate, just rip off a branch, lay it out into the water and put a handful of mud over the stem. Some folks don't like it as it spreads.

I have red swamp crawfish and they cause no trouble at all.

What does wipe out everything that can be reached from shore is the Texas Leafcutter Ant. I don't know if you have them up there but they will wipe out anything you plant overnight. I had Pickerelweed sheared off clean. I assumed it was deer. Nope - ants.

Other easy to find plants that work around here:

Pickerelweed - It will dry out but recover from rhizomes.

Bullrush - happiest when wet but will take dry. Dragonflies love to perch on it. No pests bother it.

Louisiana water Iris. They also dry out but recover. Not sure how far north they'll survive.

Mud plantain - Also go dormant when dry then recover. Good to hold soil and protect from erosion.

Canna Lilies. First year trying them but they seem to take dry to submerged. Super easy to find at any big box store. Bloom all summer. These are a leafcutter ant favorite.

4 acre pond 32 ft deep within East Texas (Livingston) timber ranch. Filled (to the top of an almost finished dam) by Hurricane Harvey 9/17. Stocked with FHM, CNBG, RES 10/17. Added 35lbs RSC 3/18. 400 N LMB fingerlings 6/18