Originally Posted By: jpsdad
It gets so complicated when one has combination of prey fish where one or especially more than one of the combination are expected to be harvested or at least share fishing effort focus (not just forage for predators).

How will feed trained YP pan out in a BOW with BG? Will BG dominate the feed the way they do the natural foods?

In addition to Bill's eventual advice, look into Theo Gallus' management of Yellow Perch in combination with BG-RES hybrids. May also be some insight there.

In my experience both BG and GSH outcompete YP for pellets - hence the BG population management advice I provided. Nate Herman recommended I use sinking feed for YP struggling to compete with other species for supplemental forage, but I'm not a sinking feed fan as I suspect a lot of it ends up uneaten and can accelerate the eutrophication process/water quality issues. In my experience BG and YP are not a recommended combination and will serve as a management issue throughout the life of this fishery - it can be done [I'm doing it!] just requires management strategies that are fairly intensive. I manage several fisheries similar [including my own] and it’s the case for all...you're not alone.

Hybrid lepomis species are a different matter - HBG and BRES do not share BG fecundity and as Theo may support are far easier to manage in the presence of YP. There hasn't been much research I've come across regarding BRES fecundity vs HBG, but I suspect they are fairly similar, and populations lend themselves more manageable than pure BG.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]