It's time to start managing the fish populations in my pond to help with DO levels and overall fish growth. I have put together a fish cage so that I don't have to clean only a few fish a night. This way I can allow the fish to purge their pellets (I have read here at PB that pellets in the belly add an extra unpleasantness to cleaning fish) and hold them in case I find an interested party who needs some for their pond.

I plan to take out about 75 pounds of HBG and only so many can fit in the freezer, but many can fit in the cage...

The cage was made of junk I had laying around and left over mesh from my fish trap (I bought the big roll).

And here is a very handy tool to have at the dock. It's made from a five gallon bucket handle. It works very well holding a fish that has a deep hook. The smaller fish are just slid over one of the prongs while larger fish can be hung from both prongs...slide fish onto prong by inserting the prong up through a gill and out the mouth. It makes the use of one of those plastic hook removal tools much easier (thanks for the hook remover tip Bocomo!).

One of these days (or years) I will have to upgrade the fish hanger to 1/4" rod instead of the bucket handle...the HSB are getting bigger by the minute. lol

Attached Images
Cage out of pond.jpg Cage in pond.jpg Fish Holder.jpg

Fish on!,
Noel