Originally Posted By: Quarter Acre
I am currently testing a variety of foods from Optimal at my pond which makes me think alot about the variables involved. It's pretty mind boggling.

Thus far, all the experimental food samples have all been approximately 4-5 mm round pellets and have mostly yielded less enthusiasm compared to the control feed (Opt BG pond feed - 4.5 mm by varying lengths). I certainly do not know the ingredient differences, but it seems that size and shape MAY be a big factor. I say this without anything more than limited visual observations, but it would appear that the HSB tend to prefer the larger bits of the BG feed and when it is switched to the experimental feeds of smaller sizes...it takes the HSB a little longer to actively start feeding.

I know JPS mentioned size of pellets already...I'm just throwing in my recent observations regarding the same.

Noel, that's been my observation as well. Really big CNBG will take LMB size feed with enthusiasm, as do LMB and HSB. Giant hand thrown 1 inch feed drives HSB and LMB berserk, so much so that I fear they will bruise each other from collisions. Big CNBG will try the 1 inch feed, but mostly can't fit it in their mouth.

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160