Success of crappie in large vs small lakes/ponds.

I think at least two ecological differences occur between typical large and small lakes.

1. Large lakes typically have more and larger diversified habitats than small lakes/ponds. More diversified habitats results in more types of food resources which ultimately results in greater abundance of food organisms. Thus when crappies in large lakes encounter food shortages, they are able to shift from one diet source to another and still keep adequately feeding and growing. The ability to diet shift probably does not occur as often in smaller waters.

2. Directly related to Number 1 is the ratio of littoral area vs deeper open water area. Many large lakes have expansive open water areas compared to the amount of littoral zones. I am currently not sure how this affects a lake's ability to produce a good or excellent crappie fishery, but I think the two are strongly related. The amount of littoral zone affects the production of forage items (mostly small fish) for crappie. Larger lakes with diverse habitats typically have a greater diversity of sucessfully reproducing forage fish. The key to a water body producing a good crappie fishery is dependent on the crappies always having adequate food for good growth and whenever a strong crappie year class occurs the proper or adequate mortality (predation) needs to occur so the amount if overcrowding is kept to a minimum.

As with any fish, the basic bottom line to producing a good crappie fishery is to keep the crappie from becoming overabundant and always maintain ample food so they continue growing. Sometimes good crappie fisheries occur in small ponds where the crappie are not able to or marginally reproduce. Thus overcrowding is often not a problem in these ponds and the few resident crappie have ample food sources.

Larger lakes tend to more often provide adequate population control and abundant food sources than smaller waters. But with luck and or proper management large crappie can be produced in small lakes and this sometimes does occur. Most fishermen know of or have heard about a good crappie pond or of large crappie being caught in certain ponds or small lakes.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management