Originally Posted By: NEDOC
reply to SetterGuy......

I've read your posts on your HSB and kept assuming they would show up. Sorry to hear but I'm guessing they would've shown up by now if they survived. I think I'd stock several more than you think you need, if they survive you can always thin the herd.

One question, do you recall what range the water temp may have been in when you stocked them? Or what time of year? Bruce has told me if they are handled when water temps are in the 50s they are susceptible to acquiring fungus. And I experienced that with the several hundred I handled this spring.

They were stocked in October of 2015. I don’t think the water was particularly cold at that time. Minimal handling, but they were delivered by the seller. (So I’m not sure what happened before they arrived. There were no other predators in the pond. The HSB were stocked at the same time as my SMB. I believe I had good survival of my SMB. Which were about the same size as the HSB.

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023