Originally Posted By: mikepjr

I stocked 100 HSB around 1st of april this year, they were the same 4-6" (new 2 acre pond) Last spring I stocked 15lb FHM 15lb GSH 100 BG
and 50 RES. I had massive FHM spawns. I started feeding MVP as soon as I stocked HSB and they were hitting it for a about a week, then it was like they were gone only BG and GSH were showing up. I was feeding 1/2 coffee can mvp at sunset almost every day. Some time in july they showed up and started hammering the feed. I started feeding 3/4 can still at sunset once a day. Around the middle of july we started trying to catch 1 They wouldn't hit anything, so we went and got some earthworms went to the pond a little before feeding time and bam got hammered within minutes. Every time we threw in got hammered. I had to shut it down I didn't want to hurt a bunch of them. Took the worms down there a couple weeks ago and same deal, they just smoked em. Weighed a couple they are just over 1 1/2lbs and the longest was 13 3/4. kept a couple to eat. I'm hoping sometime in october to relocate several to the freezer, if the worms continue to work.

That's stellar growth Mike. My Dad and I once caught a mess of them fishing for walleye at Skiatook lake drifting a worm rig. Lots of fight in them. Your stocking plan very much intrigues me. Particularly the 100 BG (50/Acre). If they were fingerling, they will produce prodigious crops of YOY next year, if adults, you already have seen those prodigious crops of small BG. I think I favor the fingerling approach as the minnows were more than sufficient this year. Next year the minnow like fish will small BG and GSH and I suspect the growth of the HSB will again be excellent next year. Hope you start a thread on your BOW, it would be fun and interesting to follow it.

Last edited by jpsdad; 09/18/19 06:24 PM.

It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so - Will Rogers