New pond is starting to fill and groundcover is growing nicely. I ordered 5# of FHM and 5# of GSH for delivery next week. No problem getting pallets for FHM spawning habitat, but unsure what to do about GSH habitat since is a new pond with zero weed growth now. Hopefully the GSH will spawn in the spring, but I understand they need a substrate to lay eggs on.

I have oats planted well down into the bowl of the pond and water level should be upon them in spring. This might work as there should be submerged weeds and oat stalks available. I wondered if I should make something else available just in case, though. Looking for an affordable (read cheap) alternative to commercial spawning mat.

I thought about scrounging a few ramshackle artificial Christmas trees after the first of the year and poking the branches along the shoreline like artificial weeds. Also seen coconut husk matting on fleabay fairly reasonable, I assume you would tie it to sticks and string along pond edge. Also thought about buying a few cheapo furnanace filters and staking them around the pond.

I don't want to reinvent the wheel, so I'm open to any other cost effective ideas. Thanks.