Originally Posted By: Ryan M
I did eat any that were large enough to get a filet off of. I love all seafood so I’m not one to let it go to waste.

You are basically correct that there was nothing in the pond other than lmb. The original owner stocked multiple species - all predators. Obviously that didn’t go well. I have seen no evidence of anything but lmb. I have established a fairly healthy population of native BG. There are now all sizes represented. I will be adding fatheads shortly as my pocketbook allows. Ultimately I plan on putting in a small pond and dyke above the two existing ponds to use as a fhm breeding pond.

The pond is infinitely healthier than when I acquired it. With the drastic reduction of lmb the pond is so much healthier. There were no frogs or tadpoles. This year there were thousands of tadpoles and the frogs are so loud they keep you up at night. Bluegills are present in the shallows in all sizes. I have a long way to go but the change in one year has been remarkable.

Great. BTW, you harvested at least 60 pounds of LMB at an average weight of 3oz per fish. I'm not surprised with the improvement you note above. You should find the BG will grow fast (and large) and that the LMB will grow larger from the changes you made. I might have brought up some options for forage but given that you have already introduced the BG it is time to enjoy the benefit this additional forage will provide.

It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so - Will Rogers