So, the pH is high-ish, but not causing fish health issues at this time, and we’re trying to figure out if is even a cause for alarm?

I like JQ’s line if thinking for possible future issues, but want to understand the chemistry a little better.

JQ, you still following?
Originally Posted By: Joey Quarry
If ammonia is present at sufficient levels, when the pH rises, NH3 is produced, which is highly toxic.

can you clarify your thoughts here? In my experience, NH3 is ammonia. Ammonia is also used to neutralize acid, and is caustic when dissolved in water, so it contributes to a high pH, but I’m not sure how it is produced by high pH.... it is a very real byproduct of aluminum -> aluminum oxide in nitrogen rich environment, But the alum is not metallic, and shouldn’t make that reaction.

It may be that you will see ammonia levels increase if there is high alkaline because the fish continue to make it as waste, but it’s not being neutralized by the pond? Which could get the toxicity levels too high in some time period if left unchecked?

I wonder if a real good rain will bring it back to to normal, like a water change in an aquarium. Add some CO2 from rainwater,and it’s “Right as rain”.

Last edited by FLX Muck Man; 08/08/19 06:00 AM.

I SUBSCRIBE!