Originally Posted By: Quarter Acre
Originally Posted By: NEDOC
As a side note/question..... Does anyone have a guess as to whether the cattails will survive and start over again next year if I just anchor my floating island in the pond and leave it in the ice over winter?

Fantastic addition to the thread NEDOC! Thanks for posting those pics.

I can't help but think that the cattails will survive IF the bulk of the root system is below the ice, but only time will tell. Certainly try it and post back to this thread. If the ice gets to the upper sections, the lower "alive" portions might rot off and sink...IDK

Does your floating mesh and noodle islands float out in open water or do they require being in the shallows? I can see them getting heavy and lop-side sinking. I may have to steal that idea next year and try some cattails too.

They float in open water. My pool noodle island is in a 600 sq ft grow out pond, so it just goes whichever way the wind blows, never rooting down. Oddly the plant growth above water seems to not impact the balance and buoyancy of the island at all. No idea why. I'll keep updating with pictures every few weeks as my larger island is progressing quickly recently.

BTW, I was thinking the same regarding the roots staying alive if they stay below the ice.

Just a Pond Boss 'sponge'