Originally Posted By: platon20
I have a severe coontail and algae problem (covering 75% of the 3 acre pond). I'm treating it with herbicides and getting carp/tilapia but I also wanted to explore planting some vegetation on the shoreline to absorb the nutrients before it gets to the water.

What are some good plants to plant in the shoreline that won't invade the water?

Sorry platon...I missed your post.

I'm not that good with plants, yet. All I can say is look for plants that are common in your area (at nearby ponds) and identify them. Marginals or emergent plants will, most likely, be what you are referring to when you ask "What are some good plants to plant in the shoreline that won't invade the water?" In general, these plants will stay close to the shoreline so long as the water does not stay shallow (less than 3 foot) for very far out into the pond. Plants like Arrowhead, cattail, Pickerel Weed, and Thalia Dealbata are ones that seem to like my pond at least. I pull any cattails that show up so that the others I mentioned can get more established, but cattails are likely to be one of the best plants to reduce erosion and take in nutrients, but the can be pretty invasive too.

Fish on!,
Noel