Three yrs later, ongoing algae problem with smallish 0.15 pond. Yr1; Stocked with 17 RES after adding gambusia minnows, and grass shrimp. Yr2; stocked FHM and tilapia. Yr3; added single 16" LMB, single 7" BCrappie, stopped auto feeding minnows (dang coon knocked it down) and heavily (12lbs) stocked tilapia, red swamp crayfish, dyed water. Observe 4 RES 10"+ with 1 appearing 11". Yr2 clouds of minnows looked abundant. Yr3 FHM don't appear as prevalent yet lots wee little gams in the weeds. Population drop appears to be FHM only, gambusia staying stable. On sunny cool day I count 25+ dark forms that are the RES enjoying the warmth.

Bill Cody Quote; "With only FHM and RES in same small pond and if you keep the FHM harvested to lower density the two should co-exist okay. Someone needs to try this and report the results on this forum. I hope."

1? & 2? from previous post
Will established FHMs eat the RES eggs and control RES overpopulation? (too easy!)
Result: Believe this, and Crane birds, is a factor in low recruitment, some new 3" to 7" RES, but not 100's; Yes, RES population is controlled ie, growing slowly.

3? & 4? from previous post
Will FHMs become great forage for big RES?
or tie up much of the pond biomass and escape RES predation?
Result: RES gather and charge the FHM when their feeder goes off in the morning and evening. Gams & FHM everywhere but not in thick clouds. Lone LMB helps.

Present challenges: the rampant algae starts late March before I can trigger a phytoplankton bloom. Tried to fertilize after herbiciding algae this June. BIG mistake, algae exploded. Fish production lower than I hoped due to poor water fertility.

I can post photos if.. [img:center]https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=...e=3&theater[/img]

Last edited by Will W; 07/05/19 02:45 PM. Reason: trying to post pics