Originally Posted By: Snipe
TJ, only thing I can come up with in a fresh fish is a bacteria that can cause this. The one fish still has full-good color and still shows the bulge. The longer they are dead-as you well know- gasses build causing the bulge but that's generally after most color is gone-not important here.
Our region 1 Bio skirts around the forum some and I ask him to look at photo. His first response was size of eyes more than bulge. He did agree on potential bacteria but was hung up on believing that fish is much older than it should be for it's size. We also both noted the actual stomach is still in tact :-))
If the bacteria is present that causes the eye bulge, it can cause brain swell with disorientation and respiratory issues as well if severe enough. What I can't determine is cycle of this.. ie, is it present in waterbody or were fish exposed from another source.??

What can I expect to see if I was sold older stunted fish as for as the future of my pond? Will that age group just not develop as fast. Will they spawn and the new crop just take them over? Disease? Is it a serious problem or will they eventually grow into their eyes so to speak?