Originally Posted By: FireIsHot
Originally Posted By: bassmaster61

A 5 weight might pull a 6-7# LMB out of a brush pile but it won't be able to cast big hairy flies very well.....maybe with a 2 ft. level leader you could give it a try...

Again, just my personal experience, but with the exception of Gamechangers, a fast tip 5# will throw most any fly by using a smooth Belgium cast. No tip shock when the heavier fly transitions from the back cast to the forward cast, and the transition and fly drop on the backcast are much more comforting to me when I don't have a big fly hook heading at the back of my head on the forward cast. A 5# would never be my first choice for heavy flies, but it will do in a crunch.

I really enjoy fly rod talk, and specifically targeting LMB and HSB would be a fun thread to start. My recommendations on this thread are based solely on the OP's targeted fish, and my almost daily experience fishing for CNBG.

Holy mackerel - the above post made me realize just how little I know about fly fishing....might need to find a 'fly fishing terminology for dummies' book as well as a starter rod and reel.

Dale

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water." - anonymous