Quick update to the HSB pond record...This years first and only HSB catch has broken last fall's record by 0.2 pounds...

This one was 14.5" long and weighed 1.63 pounds. It's good to know that winter growth likely existed even though my sampling is as small as it gets...these fish are hard to get on the line. A total of 3 hours of fishing went into landing this one fish (20-30 minutes an evening for a week with several near strikes and/or misses). It was caught on a 4" long broken back floating minnow lure reeled in slow at the surface - just fast enough to give it some action but stay afloat. If the wind is blowing the right direction, it takes the HBG feed across the pond and the FHM's tend to form small schools and push the pellets around...then the HSB start feeding on the minnows. This has been lasting for about 20 minutes an evening. Eventually the pellets fade away and the minnows return to hiding.

I'm pretty sure there are bigger HSB in there by looking at some of the surface hits, but I don't want to over fish them so I have decided to give them a break and try again in a month or two (if I can resist the temptation).

Attached Images
HSB.jpg

Fish on!,
Noel