SWM,

I came to Pond Boss a number of years ago. I needed help because of multiple huge channel catfish that had totally overwhelmed and unbalanced a 0.75 acre pond on a new homestead we moved onto.

The new homestead didn't have quite the issues you are experiencing with your multitude of bucket stocked fish types. Our pond just had bluegill, largemouth bass, black crappie, four monster grass carp, and a bunch of big unruly channel catfish.

I got a lot of good advice here. I became very active with the Pond Boss community, and subscribed to Pond Boss Magazine. I was befriended by many other members, including the Pond Boss owners -- Bob Lusk and Mike Otto. This involvement gave me an invaluable pond management education from the best of the very best.

I greatly enjoyed raising trophy bluegill for quite a few years following the solid advice I got here. We carefully managed and enjoyed the channel cats. (I smoked about a three pound channel catfish fillet earlier this evening. It will become delicious spread/dip tomorrow.)

We added golden and rainbow trout each autumn. We added hybrid striped bass about every two years.

Two seasons ago we moved from the WV mountain homestead into a city home about 15 miles away in Virginia. With the move, I stopped managing the ponds. Both of my ponds are now way out of balance. The channel cats have again become overwhelming and dominant. The bass and bluegill are small.

I too would agree with the others that it would be best to start over by eliminating the fish population with rotenone, or possibly with lime. Besides the catfish issues, you've got a mess of different kinds of fish that spawn at different times and quickly become predators of the next types of fish that will start to spawn.

I dont believe you can easily get the pond under control without draining it down. You could selectively seine it out when very low, but you will still have a lot of mutt fish that will continue to cause management problems.

Determine you pond goals. Restock from a reputable source. It will take a couple of years, but will payoff big time. Buy some of the Pond Boss books, particularly Perfect Pond ... want one?.

Begin the restocking with fish that will provide good forage for your top line predator that you will add after forage gets established.

Don't bucket stock.

Catfish become hook shy real quickly. Never throw any back. no matter the size.

Don't ever add more catfish to a pond each season than you feel confident you can harvest within two seasons.

Good luck. Dont give up. Keep us informed of your progress.

Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!