Originally Posted By: bassmaster61
After we electro-surveyed our ponds the bottom line was that the fisheries biologist wanted us to harvest 40 LMBs per acre...in one of the smaller ponds (1.6 acres) he said we could go up to 50-60.

Our ponds were full of stunted fish mostly in the 12-14 inch range. Many had RWs in the 65-75% range....really low. I suspect if all yours are in a smaller range you could boost up the harvest per acre a bit. He told us to not be picky and keep virtually every fish we caught. We harvested the fish in the 2016 season. We also added 250 adult northern 5"-7" BG per surface acre.

We have been in maintenance harvest mode for the last two years (2017 & 2018) and will continue to harvest 15 to 20 LMBs under 14" per surface acre each season.

Now, as we enter this third year of maintenance harvest, about 80% or more of the fish we have caught thus far have been north of 14" and greater than 90% relative weight. RWs have largely been in the 95-115% in the 1.6 acre lake. It feels like it might be tough to hit our maintenance harvest goal this year but we have had a cold, wet spring here and the fishing is just now getting good....we will see.

But here, in the early going, it seems that is going to be my dilemma....do i take out LMB under 14" even when they have RWs at or above 100? I do have another pond i am not currently managing that is overpopulated with BG where i can relocate these smaller management bass.

For you though Cody, I think you need to cull like crazy and add some adult BG. BM61.

This is a bit of thread hijack, but BM61, consider graduating from just considering RW to taking into account "Proportional Size Distribution."

See this old thread from Dick Anderson (the originator of the concept) and the late great Dave Willis:

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=23612&page=1

"Keep taking <12 in bass until the number 8-12 equals number 12-15. Ideal pond structure is 40% 8-12, 40% 12-15 and 20% 15+ "

In my old pond thread we start talking about using this strategy from this post onwards:

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=347100#Post347100

Last edited by Bocomo; 05/17/19 03:55 PM.