Purchased a farm with a couple spring fed ponds - one is small about 1/3 acre - the larger one is about 2 acres.

When purchasing the property was told that the larger pond had been bucket stocked by owners former husband with crappie and yellow perch and that the owners had enjoyed good fishing in years past. Former owner had gone through a divorce some years back and hadn't done much fishing or maintenance over last 5 or more years.

Large pond was overflowing banks due to a family of beavers that had dammed up the output stream. This problem has been solved as I trapped out the beavers and tore out the dam over last couple weeks. Also trapped a large snapping turtle of about 30lbs.

However I haven't seen any fish in the ponds other then small minnows. Water is fairly clear and I don't see any sunfish or bass. Have cast plastic worms & plugs that usually work on ponds with no hits. Also tried fishing some live minnows with no hits. I'm wondering if there was a fish killing event sometime in past or if the crappies overpopulated and died off. Pond seem to get good wind across it but I'm thinking it may need some more areation. Supposedly about 14' at deepest point.

Leaning towards re-stocking the pond with bass and bluegills from a hatchery this spring. What suggestions do you folks have? How many fingerlings of each would you recommend for both ponds? Any additional fish like fat head minnows?

Last edited by nvcdl; 05/01/19 06:30 PM.