Tracy, no catheter, but yes on the sight and squeeze test. For us, I don't think any visual by itself would have been as accurate a few weeks ago, or a few weeks from now. I was just lucky that the scheduled date, water temps, and weather hit us just right. This was our 4th or 5th shocking, and we've never done it prior to any spawning. We've always had LMB in various stages of the spawn. I would think we'll be where you SE TX/LA guys are in a few weeks.

I did tell Todd's guys exactly what I wanted shocked up before they got started though. It's worth noting I struck out on 10" female CNBG for breeders, <>2# bull CNBG, or possible double digit LMB.

There were a handful of smaller 10-12" LMB that could have been females, but we gave them a quick look, and they were coming out anyway. I was extremely surprised that there were no more than that. What did concern me was that the CNBG that were spit up in the boat tank were all around 2". Just my WAG, but few small LMB, and only undersized regurgitated forage makes me think the bottom of my food chain is still weak, and the larger LMB are cannibalizing their own. Few of the LMB we took out would have hit 100% RW, so I've still got a ways to go.

Even with the condition of the LMB, I still think this might have been the most productive shocking we've ever had, and I'm looking forward to the next month or two. Every male I can pull off a bed is a small victory for the pond and my wallet.

Last edited by FireIsHot; 03/16/19 02:01 PM. Reason: afterthought

AL