Originally Posted By: Geosteve
That’s the line of thinking I had as well John. Really do appreciate the well thought out rationale. The HSB stocking sounds extreme at first glance but then that’s when compared to ‘normal’ stocking rates that are sustainable. Quickly removing and eating a few would do the trick in a hurry.

As for the RES surviving the winters, I’ve not heard of any difficulties in this area, quite a bit warmer than the frozen tundra of the northern part of the state! Caught a few in local ponds last year actually. Plus, will be getting them from a local (less than 15 miles away) professional propagator in the hopes that they are more adapted to the local climate.

Of course all these thoughts and beliefs are prone to actual field verification! The best part of pond management is seeing how things play out on the ground.

One other advantage of overstockong in such a small BOW is it gives you some cushion if you lose some fish to predation. GBH, cormorants, etc. can put the hurt to a small pond in a hurry. Having some extra in the beginning might be beneficial should you lose some.

Cody note - this thread has been copied to the Common Q&A Archives under RES and HSB topics

Last edited by Bill Cody; 03/15/19 09:08 AM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine