I've got a 1/10 acre sediment pond that I have used to grow out CNBG, then later LMB (both for stocking in my 3 acre main pond) and right now growing out some SMB.

My 1/10th acre sediment pond

You can actually raise a lot of fish in 1/10th acre. To maximize it install aeration and feed the fish with high quality fish food. I think the secret is harvest. You need to be willing to fish it and remove fish to maintain a healthy population and keep your the fish from being too thick and stunting.

I have a one acre pond with RES and SMB. It is not old enough to give an opinion on how good it eventually will be, but I have already had recruitment of SMB and been removing quite a few (which is great in my case because I have other ponds to stock the excess SMB in).

My RES and SMB pond construction and stocking thread

I bet the RES and HSB combo would work fine as long as you fed the HSB. The RES really do not take to feed well without training. There are methods of feed training RES (kind of diffficult) but if you stock ordinary fingerling RES consider them untrained and unlikely to eat fish food to any significant degree. Shorty and Nedoc are a couple of go to guys for RES feed training. RES are not prone to coming to the surface to feed like BG will.

Edit: this is my non expert opinion about stocking. The experts would have better ideas. I stocked 100 LMB and a year later removed about 40 in the 12"+- range. If it were me, I would stock 50-100 RES and let them go a year before stocking the HSB. Then stock 50 HSB. Yes that is terribly over stocked. But feed them well and start removing some when they get a foot long. Keep removing more as they grow till you get down to about a dozen to grow to good size. Catch and remove RES too. By over stocking you can have some fun catching and managing the population while waiting on the rest to grow bigger. If you are not going to actively remove fish, stock much lower numbers or you will end up with stunted fish. It is surprising the first year growth you can get out of initially stocked fish if fed. But if you over stock you need to remove some before the second season.

Last edited by snrub; 03/13/19 06:19 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine