Originally Posted By: Journeyman
I'm running air nearly 24-7 year round, except when daytime high temps exceed mid 80s for more than a couple days. Then timer is set to go off 10am - 8pm.

The large air bubble trial is observed daily when compare what I see with my neighbors pond and mine. He has the same pump I have, in the same depth, but instead of Vertex, he made a hula-hoop in the line and drilled small holes. Large bubbles for sure.

His pond is in his front yard so I see it every time driving by. I pay attention cause I introduced him to the aeration thing.

The average opening in the ice at his house is about 10 feet across while mine is close to 30 feet. During the weeks of sub-zero temps we had this year, his nearly closes up at less than 5 feet while mine is closer to 15 feet across.

If he drilled even 1/64 inch holes, that would create massive bubbles compared to what a soaker hose creates.....there also need to a cluster of the bubbles, such as that of a diffuser pod that become synergistic. I'm surprised a hand drilled "hula hoop" design could even keep any hole open