Originally Posted By: KRM1985
Do you think the casting net I've been using which is a 5' or 6' net is effective or is trapping a better method? I often wonder if the perch are fast enough to dart out before the net fully sinks

I have learned this too. The perch are very fast at getting out from under the net and spend most of their time in deeper water. You can get lucky if you throw the cast net when they are feeding but they still sit deep then shoot up to the feed. These nets are not very good at assessing perch population at all. Bill did tell me this and the stubborn Dutchman in me still bought a net.

We stocked 400 4-6" yellow perch in 2012 in one acre and this year was our first year we caught young yellow perch in our minnow traps used for shiners and FHM's. If you have or seen mallard ducks in your pond when the perch ribbons are being laid these buggers are eating them. I have personally watched these buggers eat ribbon after ribbon of our perch eggs. Last year was the first year we kept them out of the pond.

Cheers Don.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]
http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.