Originally Posted By: canyoncreek
Thanks for sharing! Did you make the nest and do you have an easy recipe to follow? I want to put one up this winter but still unclear on where and how high and how big of one I should make or purchase.

I'm told natural holes are better. I was thinking of taking a hollow dead section of old tree laying in the woods and cutting it in half lengthwise so I can more easily hollow out the inside, then create the correct hole size, then screw the halves back together and mount it. I don't know how to hollow out an existing dead tree that is upright yet.

I read they find the holes on the wing by spotting the color difference between the bark and the hole with its dark cavity behind it.

but I also ready they scout their nests in the fall so I might be too late.

CC, I did build this duck house. My experience has been any wood works, but it seems like weathered boards get faster action. DON'T paint your new house, just let it weather. This is why cedar is often suggested, because it weathers well.
I also have two manufactured duck houses (i.e. extruded plastic), and my woodies love them! And I have to admit, they are super easy to put up and use. I tried to get the company to advertise on the PB forum, but I have not seen them do it yet. I can PM you their name if you like.

I don't know if 'natural' holes are better, but the size does matter. Wood duck houses need an oval opening, roughly 3 inches tall by 4 inches wide (looks like a mini football on it's side). And I agree, I think they see that dark opening and go check it out.

"Politics": derived from 'poly' meaning many, and 'tics' meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.