Originally Posted By: scott69
Originally Posted By: Snipe
WOW!!! I've never seen a recommendation of more than 250-300 BG/acre unless it was by someone that was also selling the fish.
75 LMB per acre might be possible if conditions were perfect I guess but 40-50 seems more appropriate.
I'm completely missing something on these stocking rates I guess.
I should be considering I'm from a different part of the country, but that sure seems extremely high to me..??
EDIT: I went and looked up your source. I assumed it was a publication..It is a supplier, I will apologize for my comments about "recommendations from a supplier", but I will not apologize for believing that is too high.. I believe it is.

Snipe, i think the rates were high knowing i wanted a trophy bg pond and not bass. I think most suppliers/pond managers in our part of the country are just geared toward trophy lmb ponds and it goes in one ear and out the other when someone like me wants big bluegill. American sportfish are highly thought of, they are the ones that trademarked the Tiger bass. The other group in our area is Southeastern pond management. just for the heck of it, i just looked at their website and they recommend 1000-2000 per acre of bg.

i really wish i would have went with very light stocking rates on the bg.

Very interesting.. I guess I'm just not familiar enough with southern rates. Looks like a lot of that carrying capacity is being based on loading up on fertilizer also. I guess my personal thought is I'd rather stay on the lower side and error on the low side vs. teeter tottering on the brink of a crash any time there is a slight droop somewhere in the food chain. Just seems to me like they are hanging a lot out on a limb?? Good for me to learn too..
And I was questioning my 125 RES I put in my 3/4 ac pond.. :-))

Last edited by Snipe; 01/22/19 11:30 PM.