Originally Posted By: mattmonster1991
is it possible to raise good sized 3-10 pound flatheads in a pond around 10 acres already stocked with lots of crappie small bass and few channels?

was curious if got a pregnant female flathead if she had her babies in the pond they could grow and reproduce id love to be able to catch small flatheads for food not a fan of catching them over 10 pounds i know you dont put flatheads in small ponds but a lake around 10 acres or so should be fine right?

You're gonna have to have two to start. A boy and a girl. The eggs don't fertilize themselves. And where a LMB will target forage up to 1/3 its length, flathead mouth gape is the largest of any freshwater fish, allowing it to take fish over half its size. If your big bass aren't of any concern then go for it. They will eventually become targeted food. I've caught flathead on trot line that ate mudcats up to three pounds. Granted, they were monsters... but still.

.10 surface acre pond, 10.5 foot deep. SW LA. The epitome of a mutt pond. BG, LMB, GSF, RES, BH, Warmouth, Longear Sunfish, Gambusia,Mud Minnows, Crappie, and now shiners!!...I subscribe!!