Originally Posted By: anthropic
Originally Posted By: bigpullerman
Lots of reading and reflecting on my pond. One thing that I have noticed is I don't have any plants growing in my pond. I never have as far as I can remember. I would have grass growing around the edges but that's pretty much it. I have lots of trees growing all around it and I have started removing them. Lots of willows on the levee that will be a booger to cut and remove. My water level will fluctuate a good 5 ft every summer when we get dry. Would that be the reason for no plants? Most of my runoff comes from farm land so I am pretty sure I get some fertilizer along with some chemicals but that don't seem to bother the area that it runs down to get to the pond. I was just curious so I thought I would ask here.

You might consider cutting some of the willows and sinking them in the pond to make cover for your YOY fish, especially near spawning areas. Without plants, the little guys don't have enough cover.

You might also think about buying some cheap WalMart type kiddie pools, filling them with appropriate size pea gravel, and attaching them to the bottom to help . Do it at various depths so the BG can spawn regardless of water level.

I'm just now getting water plants & adding habitat, it is a constant battle!

No offense meant to any posts above.

I may be wrong, but I have experienced cut willows taking over wet or very damp areas. I would not suggest putting fresh-cut willow into a shallow area of pond, or any regularly wet areas.

Most willows will grow roots and establish themselves if cuttings or attached branches are in contact with wet areas.

You can help your hatchery success and enjoy a colorful and good tasting garden in your pond. Many of us have had very good success with floating islands growing a variety of non-invasive plants. The plants take up nutrients. Their roots grow deeply into the water and provide good habitat for fry. Many flowers and vegetables, including edibles like lettuce, spinach, cucumbers, radishes etc., will grow very well on a floating island.

I would definitely get the willows off the levee. Any trees on the levee will weaken it. The can cause a lever failure. Willows are especially harmful because their root systems strongly seek water and can grow very large and disruptive.

Last edited by catmandoo; 12/19/18 09:15 PM.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!