Since you are handy with that tractor, one way to put your forage fish production in high gear is to create a small forage pond. I have one 1/20th acre.

You would not even need to make it terribly deep. Just a very small pond, put about 3 or 4 pairs of BG with highly desirable features for brood stock, and sein it one to three times a year. I saw a couple of helpers in your pictures that would have a ball doing that.

You could make it shallow enough to be safe for your younguns to sein. I bet 1/40th acre 4' deep would do it. It might freeze out in the winter, but so what. Put a few adult BG in each spring. Make it narrow and long so it is easy to seine. Shape the bottom like a paint pan made for paint rollers.

Tip. Putting more adult BG in that size small pond will not make it produce more fry. The added adults will just eat more of the fry. Some very old research papers showed that. Just a handful of adults is all you need to produce a pond full of fry.

Build it so it will not flood from the main pond or you will end up with predators in it.

Last edited by snrub; 12/14/18 08:25 AM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine