Originally Posted By: bigpullerman
Lots of reading and reflecting on my pond. One thing that I have noticed is I don't have any plants growing in my pond. I never have as far as I can remember. I would have grass growing around the edges but that's pretty much it. I have lots of trees growing all around it and I have started removing them. Lots of willows on the levee that will be a booger to cut and remove. My water level will fluctuate a good 5 ft every summer when we get dry. Would that be the reason for no plants? Most of my runoff comes from farm land so I am pretty sure I get some fertilizer along with some chemicals but that don't seem to bother the area that it runs down to get to the pond. I was just curious so I thought I would ask here.

You might consider cutting some of the willows and sinking them in the pond to make cover for your YOY fish, especially near spawning areas. Without plants, the little guys don't have enough cover.

You might also think about buying some cheap WalMart type kiddie pools, filling them with appropriate size pea gravel, and attaching them to the bottom to help spawning. Do it at various depths so the BG can spawn regardless of water level.

I'm just now getting water plants & adding habitat, it is a constant battle!

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160