Long cold weekend so I had a lot time to read. My conclusions about non fed ponds are that it's a viable way to have a fish pond if it's just for some recreation and catching some fish is all that you want. And that is exactly what a lot of pond owners want. A place close by to get a hook wet, maybe enjoy a few cool ones and might even catch a fish. Just dump some BG and LMB in there and let them do their thing. This is the low cost way of doing it for those who don't have a lot to spend on their pond. The next step up would be to keep records and try to manage things a little bit. Do some structure, expand, do some habitat enhancement and try to balance things out by adding and/or taking fish out. This is currently where I am at. I know around here where I live there are a lot of farm reservoirs that have some pretty good fishing. And they are not stocked or managed. The fish get in from pumping and runoff from ditches or creeks. But over time the fish have figured out their place. Water levels go up and down all year by a lot. Nature has way of working it out. May not be what a person wants so they do their thing with management. Now the pond owners who wish to have record size fish should do what the experts say and start out with proper stocking and strategies. It's no doubt that proper stocking, close management, aeration and feeding will yield a lot bigger and healthier fish. But you will have to commit a lot of time and money to get to that point and that's OK if that is your goal. I really admire some of these ponds and fish caught out of them. Some really nice places that took lots of time, money and effort to get to that point. And it takes constant management to keep it that way. So like the experts on here always say, "What are your goals" that is the first thing to do with your pond then act accordingly. This forum is a great place to start with all the knowledgeable people here. The next step is to subscribe to the Pond Boss Magazine. It's on my Christmas list so I look forward to my first copy. Then get out there and work your pond and enjoy the fruits of your labor. Thank You to all the great people here that has made this such a great resource.

Nothing like seeing your bobber bobbing.
1 acre pond with LMB BG GSF BH CC and whatever else I can find
Not after trophies I just like catching and eating fish
Buddy R Hill

I Subscribe