Wow, way beyond fortunate IMO! Congrats!

Just my $.02 worth, but for the tens of thousands you're likely saving by having a 4 acre pond excavated for free, I would spend a few thousand (if even that, or maybe more) to hire a "pond consultant" who will ask you all the important questions (your complete pond goals?) and either oversee the project or at the very least BE SURE every step is done correctly. If there are any steps missed, this could potentially be the biggest headache and/or money-pit you've ever encountered.

I know that sounds drastic but if you spend enough time reading this forum, WHICH YOU SHOULD, you'll see for yourself.

Take nothing for granted, learn, learn, learn, ask, ask, ask and that 4 acre pond will bring you and your family more enjoyment than you could ever possibly imagine.

I would guess some experts here would confirm that each extreme is a possibility if not reality.

Best wishes to you and your project and we look forward to seeing the process and progress as time goes on!

Keith - Still Lovin Livin

https://youtu.be/o-R41Rfx0k0
(a short video tribute to the PB members we met on our 5 week fishing adventure)

Formerly: 2ac LMB,HSB,BG,HBG,RES