Originally Posted By: boltesc
Looking for some help here... We have a 10acre lake that we are primarily focused on growing trophy LMB. We are constantly battling FA in the lake. Any ideas how to break the cycle, and not have to constantly treat?

Couple bits of info:
- Pond is less than two years old
- Very heavy stocking of bait fish for the first year. Approx 75-1 BG to LMB
- Well fed with no springs/creeks coming in
- Feeding program for BG

Our water in the pond is pretty hard, and easily gets a bloom. However the bloom tends to switch to FA and water clears followed by a treatment. Bloom comes back and then the cycle starts again.

ANY IDEAS??

I don't know what type soil you have or if it even matters but it is common for any new pond around here to have severe FA problems the first 2 or 3 years. I don't understand why but mine did it too. The soil here is heavy yellow clay from top to about as deep as you want to dig. It has virtually no nutrients. You can't grow anything on it without fertilizing. I had some spread 3 years ago and it still just has a weed here and there but is mostly still bare. I've watched the same thing in other ponds I drive by. Seems like in 2 or 3 years the FA declines a lot on its own. I did use Cutrine the first year to keep it from covering my pond and dye the next 2 years but haven't had any trouble since. Other ponds do about the same with nothing done to them.