A morning dedicated to RES fishing. I have only caught one prior to this trip on the pond and it was a 5"er. Four years ago next month I added a thousand 3" res to the pond and followed up with another 850 the following February. I have seen only a few when we shocked the pond and I have caught a couple when throwing a cast net, so for the most part I seem to have low numbers of res. Or maybe they just like to hang out in deeper water where a shock boat and cast nets don't work all that well, really not sure. Anyway, I rigged up my 3 wt fly rod with an olive colored feathered fly with a beaded head. A minnow looking or a worm looking fly about an inch and a half in size. Fishing in about 4' of water I caught an res that was 10" and really fat, and looked like she was full of eggs. And the weighing scales were not with me at the time so I did not get a weight on her. When I first saw her on the line I saw a lot of yellow color and first thought it was a large Tilapia. But as I inspected her in the boat I discovered she had the red outline on her ear tabs It was not a bright or strong red color but more of a faded red coloring around the ear tab. I then new she was an res. She did have a lot of yellow coloring on her belly and below her gills. She is the second largest RES I have ever caught. Well as it turned out she was the only one I caught, maybe because it was a late morning fishing trip when I started up around 9:30. I also wound up catching a few 10" cnbg measured but not weighed. They were some really nice cnbg. Some of the nicest ones I have ever caught in the pond. And I also hooked into a really nice lmb that came off when I bent over to pick her up.. I am guessing 17" and about 3.5 lbs. I was a great morning of fly fishing, but it would be nice to have caught some more of the elusive RES like the one I caught. I wished I would have had the camera with me.

Last edited by TGW1; 09/30/18 06:20 AM.

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy