My goal for our pond was a pan fish pond. I have never fished all that much till I built the main pond 5 years ago but since then actually get quite a lot of fishing in. What I found I like the most is action and BG fishing fits that role.

My pond has forage more geared for a trophy LMB fishery because I have an abundance of forage fish and few LMB. So I have been working on thinning the BG (which is kind of hopeless but we have harvested over 600 in the last two years) by the fillet knife and trying to raise some additional LMB in another pond to supplement the main pond with some large enough to escape predation. With only marginal success. But at least I am starting to see and catch a few 12" LMB so I think I am gaining.

We have also removed lots of CC and have every year class of CC recruitment's. My wife likes to CC fish.

What I would really like is a pond full of 2# LMB and 3/4# BG. That is my ideal fishery with an occasional monster of each just to satisfy friends fishing the pond.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine