My 1.3 acre, shallow pond had a bit of a FA problem. It hadn’t gotten really bad and was somewhat controlled by physical removal.

I decided to try Tilipia.

Initially I stocked 85 fingerlings 1/2 inch or less. Suggested rate for FA control was 1000 per acre. A month later I stocked another 110.

In less than a month, I could see and hear something eating the FA. I stocked BG and LMB the previous fall and Interrupting the FA feast were occasional swirls that, I assume were my little bass eating the tiny tilipia.

Bottom line, though, is that I no longer have an FA problem. I see a little around brush or at the very edges, along with a little duckweed but it is well controlled. I don’t see it being eaten any more but I assume that’s what is controlling it.

I realize the tilipia will die off this fall. I want to try this again next year but think the near $1 each tilipia will simply be expensive fish food. I wish I had a reasonably priced source of tilipia large enough not to be eaten by 6 inch or so bass.

Is it possible that just under 200 tilipia initially 1/2 inch or less, under constant attack by LMB could actually control FA and duckweed on a 1.3 acre pond?

Last edited by Mal; 07/16/18 04:44 PM.

1.3 A, 80 yr old, renovation summer 2017, SW VA, 2000' elevation, Shallow, Spring Fed, Little Watershed, Stock Fall '17 with LMB, BG, RESF, FHM. Indigenous: Triploid Grass Carp, Israeli Carp, GSH