Originally Posted By: jpsdad
Originally Posted By: dlowrance
Count me in the minority - I like the GSF. I now have a pond full of mutant GSF/RES crosses....jury is still out on the growth potential but they sure are fun to catch.

Originally Posted By: snrub
Much easier to catch than pure RES too.

I am curious as to what works best as fishing methods to catch this cross. Some literature describes them still retaining a tendency eat snails and also utilizing the pelagic areas. dlowrance, I would very much like to see a color photo of your hybrids so I might understand what they look like in color.

Illinois did some research on RES male X GSF female as parental stocking and the results were remarkable blowing away all prior attempts to maximize harvest yields. I seem to have lost the link (though have the paper) ... I found the link here at pondboss and it may have been ewest that posted it.

Just located it ... numerous websites sell it but it is public domain ... some authors expressly forbid their papers to be resold.

https://tinyurl.com/yalrwns6

In my little pond the answer to 'what will catch them' is darn near anything. They don't have much in the way of predators yet (WE is the only predator I stocked, but unfortunately I had one LMB spawn....so there's a bunch of small LMBs). They definitely still focus on 'snail' type shapes, just ask my kids when they swim in there - moles and nipples are just beat UP if they float for more than a few seconds.

I'll do my best to take some pics this weekend - ewest asked me for some weeks ago and I've been slacking in that area. I'll start a new thread with a bunch of pics ASAP.

Dale

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water." - anonymous