It's been two weeks since I limed the pond. Took a reading this afternoon and got a ph of 7.8 on both a litmus and wide range. The hardness appears to have increased just a tad, but not much.

Yesterday I transplanted about a ton of big river stone and in the process muddied up the shoreline pretty good. Today, other than a thin green film on the surface (pollen, I think) my clarity has increased to over 3 feet, so I'm not concerned about having a suspension issue.

Here's the BUT!!

Even with the clarity increasing, my water has a pretty dark green color. My concern is that I may not have a sufficient plankton bloom to support all the new fry that are hatching. I also noticed a couple of fish that appeared to be stressing (red tails, tail fins ragged, and very lethargic. All the others appear fine. My water is very warm.

How do I determine if I need to add fertilizer and how much should I add to roughly 326k gallons of water? What kind of fertilizer should I be looking for?

As always, any and all suggestions or incite will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Mike Whatley; 06/04/18 06:37 PM.

.10 surface acre pond, 10.5 foot deep. SW LA. The epitome of a mutt pond. BG, LMB, GSF, RES, BH, Warmouth, Longear Sunfish, Gambusia,Mud Minnows, Crappie, and now shiners!!...I subscribe!!