So thought I would share how I am keeping geese out of my 1/2 acre pond. So far I have had a lot of success compared to neighboring ponds.

As soon as I see the first pair show up, I chase them off. Whatever it takes. I now have my dog trained to join in the "fun", and she knows to go to the opposite side of the pond from me so the geese get pressured both ways. I toss small stones near them to keep them on the move until they leave. The pond isn't big enough for them to get far enough away from short to feel safe. We have to do this almost daily in the spring when they are trying to find good nesting spots.

If that doesn't work, I have some pretty hefty bottle rockets as a last resort. They don't appreciate fireworks like I do.

My guess is that if there is a pair sitting comfortably for a little while, the geese flying over see this as a safe spot and join in. Let it go too far, and the geese will win and it will be far harder to get them out. Otherwise if nobody is there, they assume a predator must be near and look for the next safe spot. The first two geese to try to get established are the easiest to remove as they are nervous about being alone. Keep the pond goose free, and it almost maintains itself.

Don't fertilize the grass anywhere near the pond. I swear they can detect plant health from a distance, after all it is a survival thing. My grass is hovering the line between death and life, so not good eating and not all that attractive.

Don't mow everything near your pond, leave as much as you can tall enough they cannot walk through it. That becomes no-goose land and great support for the ecosystem. Right up to the water's edge if possible. You can always mow paths, or brush hog once in a while to keep the woody stuff down.

Lastly, hope your neighbor doesn't mind a few geese and has a larger pond with fertilized grass. The geese take one look at my puddle with weak grass, and a nearby 3-acre pond nicely manicured and choose the "safer" version.

I would rather have a poo-free swimable pond than a green carpet any day.

Thanks for listening!